Simple and Effective Ways to Improve Your SEO
Search engine optimization (SEO) is the process of improving the quality of a website, the quantity of traffic to the website and the overall visibility of the website on the search engines without using paid media.
The ranking of your website on search engines such as Google or Bing depends on a number of factors that are included in their complex algorithm. These include:
– Your bounce rate, which is the percentage of visitors who leave after viewing one page on your website.
– The number of pages viewed by every visitor.
– Duration of site visit (dwell time).
– Broken links, which are links on your website that don’t work.
– Inbound links, which are links that lead to your website from other websites or,
– Outbound links, which are links that lead to other websites from your website.
Not every search engine uses the same algorithm to display search results but we will talk about 5 simple and effective ways of improving your SEO that you can adopt today.
Improving the quality of content
Quality content is paramount in optimizing traffic to your website. Your content should specifically target the users you want to attract to your website, thereby increasing dwell time, which is the amount of time visitors spend on your website. Identify specific keywords for every page and think about what your potential visitor might search for to get to your pages.
Your content should also be easy to read and remember. The memorability of your content can be improved by breaking your text with quality images and video which also give more information about the topic in question.
Updating your content regularly
Regularly updated content is one of the major indicators of your website’s relevancy. Therefore it is important to keep your content fresh and up to date. Sharing new unique content which is specific to your target audience will also improve your ranking on search engines.
Improving the website’s user experience (UX) and performance optimisation
User experience, according to usability.gov, “focuses on having a deep understanding of users, what they need, what they value, their abilities, and also their limitations. It also takes into account the business goals and objectives of the group managing the project.”
Visitors on your website should be able to easily navigate through your website and find relevant information quickly and efficiently. Performance optimization, on the other hand, focuses on how to optimize your website speed by understanding how mobile and desktop browsers render pages. With speed optimization, an important factor to look out for is how ‘heavy’ your pages are with images and videos embedded and how fast these pages load on mobile and desktop.
Optimisation of metadata
Metadata is data that describes other data. This could simply be tags embedded on your pages that contain information about the contents of your page. Examples of metadata include:
– Title metadata, which is responsible for the page titles displayed at the top of a browser window and as the headline within search engine results.
– Keywords metadata, which are tags that tell the search engine what the content on your page is about.
– Descriptive metadata, which describes the content for search and discovery context. According to emory.edu, descriptive metadata helps connect users to resources and provides important context about a resource once it is discovered
Errors on your website can affect not only the user experience but also your credibility on search engines. If your website contains misleading or broken links, your ranking on search engines will most likely plummet.
These are only a few of the many ways of optimizing SEO for your website. Contact us to learn more about how to effectively optimize your website. A tailormade SEO strategy based on analysis of your web pages should help make your website top-of-mind and top of the ranks on search engines.
Tribe of Brands team can help you create a personalised content marketing campaign that effectively navigates the complex waters of the internet. Our marketing agency can help you with further ideas of how to design world-class websites, seamless user journeys and digital marketing campaigns.
Contact Us to Learn How